Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's Mathemagical!

I have to start this off by saying that if you're not familiar with the amazing work of Vi Hart (youtube.com/vihart), you are MISSING OUT. Go subscribe to her immediately.

Vi was my inspiration yesterday, since I started my day by watching a couple of her newest videos. This resulted in my entire day being rather... mathemagical. See for yourself:

Here is Sierpinski's triangle (6th degree, I believe), which I definitely spelled wrong in the picture. Sorry about that. But y'all, I had so much fun devising a way to draw an equilateral triangle without a protractor. I am nerd central.

A bit of Sierpinski's triangle atop a bit of Pascal's triangle. (If you circle the odd numbers in the latter, the former will appear. How cool is that?)

And of course, a möbius strip. These things are way too much fun.

Moving right along, here are today's (less interesting) pictures:

I don't like the focus on this. It's not a real flute - it's a Christmas ornament that's about four inches long. For some reason it was in my purse, so I photographed it. (This is called desperation.)

A much better shot! I love the shadows here. This one was shot right after I FINALLY figured out how to use the macro mode on my camera. How could it be so simple? Doh!

This is the brand of water stocked by my school cafeteria. My friends and I have taken to calling it Nazi Springs.

I took both of these water shots at out National English Honor Society meeting this morning. I was just sitting there shaking the bottle because I liked the sound it made, and finally my Emily twin reached over, grabbed the bottle, and said, "STOP!" So I did. But I photographed the moment, so ha.

Also: news on the photography course being offered next year. We were given our course selection forms today - this is always one of my favorite times of the year, because I'm a nerd like that. And *gasp* the course catalog shows Art I as a prerequisite of Photography! I've never taken art class because I SUCK SUCK SUCK at drawing and the like, but I think my Literary Magazine advisor is going to talk to the art teachers. Being on the magazine staff has given me a lot of art and photography training, and I've even attended training sessions at the ASPA state conventions. So really, I'm probably just as qualified as somebody who took Art 1 because he needed a fine art credit. I hope things work out on this... some real instruction would mean so much to me!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, you make me sound like this horrible dictator! xD Granted, I am, but no need to tell the world about it xD. I love your math pictures even though they intimidate and confuse me :)
    -Your Emily-twin C:

    ReplyDelete