Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sorry, June... Guess I Missed You

Hey there, party people. It's been a while. I have been legitimately busy, but in a way that looks very much like sitting around the house. I've completed one and a half of my three summer reading assignments, took the ACT (got a 32! College tuition = paid), ran a week-long day camp, and APPLIED TO MOTHER-F'ING COLLEGE! Like a boss!

Yes, the University of Alabama finally opened up applications for Fall 2012 (I've been checking for at least a month). So I jumped right on that thing and applied. So easy! I do still need to fill out the Application for Scholarships, but I think I'll wait until school starts back up to do that. Just so I can be sure I have the most current information. It feels very grown-up to have applied to college, though I'm sure this is nothing compared to the feeling of actually BEING a college student. Whether they be at Alabama, Yale, MIT, or somewhere else, those are going to be some interesting years.

ANYWAY, on to the real reason you're here. (I have two followers now, according to my dashboard, so if I felt so inclined... I could refer to you in the PLURAL!). Photographs. I have a lot of them - 100 in June alone - so I'm certainly not going to post them all. But here's a sort of Greatest Hits, in no particular order:

First off, proof of my supermegafoxyawesomehot ACT score (along with a letter I received in the spring from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation - I look forward to hearing from them again soon!):

In early June, I attended a surprise birthday party for my best friend and other half, Emily. We had a lot of fun listening to music, playing games, and of course eating cake! Apples to Apples seems to be a favorite:

I took this at camp, during one of my many down-time periods. Most of the director's work, to be honest, is done BEFORE the camp starts. During the week, you're mostly just there to make daily announcements and make sure everything runs smoothly. A leaf from the pool field:

On the sixth, Ben's mom asked him to go up to Vulcan Park and check on some sprinklers (her company did the landscaping there, I believe), and he asked me to come along. I took this from the observation deck just as the sun set over Birmingham:

The whole Pottermore ordeal later in the month got me thinking how close we are to the end, so for a day or so, I took to carrying around this huge book I have on the making of the movies. It includes this sketch from J.K. Rowling of the Black family tree:

The old Friday night stand-by: frozen pizza (DISCLAIMER: this pizza is no longer frozen):

They can't all be winners. :P The dish-scrubbing brush from our kitchen sink:

I think I took this one while we were out shopping for Day Camp supplies. I hadn't gotten a picture yet that day, and those clouds were too pretty to pass up.

My favorite thing about this photo? The contrast of my nails against the blue wall.

It's like old-school No Fear Shakespeare! Except not nearly as helpful. I've mostly been reading the No Fear version online, but when I find a quote I like, I highlight it in this hard copy that I bought for seven dollars at an antique mall (it was published right here in Birmingham!).

Poison oak? It's growing up one of our pine trees...

Testing out my new (but extremely old) tripod, again against that serenely blue wall in the front hallway. That's a prize canister filled with origami lucky stars.

Our pecan tree is dropping all its nuts too early! I blame the squirrels.

More lucky stars. I sure do love those things!

Ah, I took this at camp, on Thursday night. That's the night that all the older girls (about 3rd grade and up) get to spend the night at camp. They were supposed to be swimming when this picture was taken, but it was POURING RAIN!

Strawberry in Sprite, my favorite fruity photographic subject. ;)

This was a truly terrible photo of a couple of Lucky Stars, so I applied a cool effect to it and made it into a cover for John Green's new book, The Fault in Our Stars. Check me out on tumblr to see the other covers I've made, and also look at http://thefaultinourstarscovers.tumblr.com for some truly amazing ones!

Ah, water balloons. A big part of the camp experience. :D

The two pieces of "jewelry" that I try to wear every single day: a watch on my left arm and my DFTBA bracelet on my right. That way I always know what time it is and I never forget to be awesome!

I think I'll make a new post for what I have so far of July. And maybe, just maybe, I'll find myself a little more motivated to keep this thing up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment